top picks

Thursday, March 8, 2012


Siblings Without RivalrySiblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am very glad to have revisited this classic work on sibling rivalry.  I first read it while pregnant with my 2nd child, and there was little I could do to actualize the learning I got from this book.  Now, almost 6 years later, there is so much I needed to be reminded of.

This book reminds parents that helping our children learn to navigate their own conflict will encourage them to grow and develop these skills for themselves.  Rather then stepping in and rescuing them, we can support them with our belief that they can find a solution to their difficulties.  I was also reminded how taking sides can exacerbate a problem, and that sometimes children dream up better solutions than I ever could.

There are cute and meaningful cartoons throughout the book which help illuminate common issues, as well as helpful and unhelpful responses to them. I found the advice simple to integrate, and worth the effort as I see my children working things out for themselves.

I think this book is a valuable addition to any parenting library, and is a book I will likely revisit again and again.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment