top picks

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Four Questions revisted

I am learning more than I can put into words, and words do my learning little justice. Yet that is the language of academia, and a right and proper way to record the experience of growth and change.



I set out this quarter to discover how to approach my life more sustainably. I read to discover a sense of context, and Zinn and Freire both inspired me to be a less complacent participant in this play of now that our world is dancing. My experience fits into a larger picture of power, class, and what it means to be human in ways that give my life texture and pattern. Yet I know the power of intention; harnessing this is harnessing the soul of our divinity. We can do this with our emotions, with our minds, and with our bodies. We can feed that which feeds us. We can stop feeding our trolls. We can become our own most beautiful creations.



This is the heart of sustenance: how do we invest our attention in ways that bring us the most bounteous harvest of existence? How do we make systems that keep energy flowing and creativity possible?



Energy moves in circles and waves. I think when we can recognize rhythm and account for it in living, we have a better chance of finding wellness. There are days and nights, winter and summer, ebb and flow. These things exist in a circular spectrum, where each part flows into the next. I feel that our culture refuses to recognize the power in these rhythms, and seeks to make rigid that which should move.



In order to be sustainable, I need to be able to flex more gracefully in the context of my life. I feel that self-employment is the only way in which I will be able to create that sort of movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment